I am a developer new to containers, Kubernetes, or CI/CD. Where should I start?
This article provides five pathways including resources to succeed on your container journey.
- The following materials are free with no prerequisites.
- These materials are foundational for you to start working on your next project ASAP.
- Training materials will take up to five hours to complete.
1. Start building your skills with containers and OpenShift
To start with containers, understand what containers are and how CI/CD can automate the software development lifecycle.
- Documentation: Understanding containers
- Blog: The present and future of CI/CD with GitOps on Red Hat OpenShift
- Documentation: Understanding Cloud Native Applications
Start building your skills
Gather hands-on experience with video tutorials and learning paths to practice the concepts learned from foundational to advanced on OpenShift.
- Video tutorial: Foundations of OpenShift
- Video tutorial: OpenShift and Kubernetes learning
- Try the Developer Sandbox for Red Hat OpenShift: Start exploring in the Developer Sandbox for free
Learn more about Kubernetes
A deep dive on Kubernetes concepts from services to containers and pods:
Our product documentation
Discover all the features and capabilities of OpenShift from our product documentation.
- Overview of Images in Red Hat OpenShift
- Building Applications with Red Hat OpenShift
- OpenShift Web Console Overview
2. Modernize your applications
Explore the practices to move your application to containers.
- Video tutorial and additional materials: Developing microservices on Kubernetes
- Documentation: What is .NET application modernization?
- Article: OpenShift QuickStarts to deploy JBossEAP
Ready to practice?
Practice the concepts learn with our Developer Sandbox for Red Hat OpenShift, tutorials, and hands-on labs.
- Tutorials: All Development topics with Red Hat Developer
- Video tutorial: Developing cloud-native applications with microservices
- Hands-on lab: Developing on OpenShift
Learn more about application development
Learn about Red Hat Enterprise Linux capabilities to improve the developer experience and container applications development experience.
- Article: How the new RHEL 9.2 improves the developer experience
- Article: Kubernetes-native inner loop development with Quarkus
3. Migrate at scale with OpenShift
After migrating a couple of applications, you might wonder how we can replicate this process across an organization. Discover where to start with the modernization journey and how the developer experience can be improved.
- Demo video: Build, test, tune, and deploy your application with Red Hat OpenShift Dev Spaces
- Article: Podman Desktop 1.0: Local container development made easy
- Documentation: Viewing application composition using the Topology view
- Documentation: Modernizing existing applications
Ready to try?
Start analyzing and assessing applications with MTA. Learn from our demo and product documentation.
Learn more about migration
Plan your Java application modernization journey with our e-book and learn Podman's capabilities.
- Article: Podman basics
- E-book: A practical guide to kick-start your own initiative
4. Automate to accelerate your software development lifecycle
Automate software development process adopting GitOps approach and secure with DevSecOps.
- Article: How to set up your GitOps directory structure
- Article: Git best practices: Workflows for GitOps deployments
- Documentation: What's DevSecOps
- Documentation and demos: DevSecOps: Automating security in the development lifecycle
Ready to try automation?
Learn from these free hands-on labs how to bring automation with CI/CD and GitOps practices by using Helm, OpenShift Pipelines, Jenkins, Ansible Automation Platform, and OpenShift GitOps.
- Develop with GitOps
- Getting Started with OpenShift Pipelines
- CI/CD with the Ansible Automation Platform and Jenkins on OpenShift
- Working with Helm
Learn more about DevOps
These e-books will help you start with best practices and practical guides to transform into a DevOps culture.
Our product documentation
Review our product documentation to learn about features and much more.
5. How to innovate with OpenShift
Learn about key OpenShift capabilities to bring innovation to applications from serverless architectures, interconnecting services in diverse platforms, and securing and observing microservices with OpenShift Service Mesh.
- Documentation: What's Red Hat OpenShift
- Documentation: Serverless
- Documentation: Interconnect applications and microservices across the open hybrid cloud
- Tutorials, books, videos and more: Build serverless architectures for Kubernetes with Knative
- Documentation: What's Red Hat OpenShift Service Mesh
Ready to try OpenShift components?
Gather hands-on experience with our free labs and follow tutorials and demos at your own pace.
Learn more about OpenShift Service Mesh
This e-book provides guidance on governance, design practices, and configuring Red Hat OpenShift Service Mesh for production use and performing day-2 operations.
Find more resources in our product documentation
Learn about product capabilities, features, and much more from our product documentation.